Why invest with us Overview
Harbour is an active, research-based equity asset manager.
The team has depth of experience.
We have been managing New Zealand and Australasian portfolios for over 10 years.
The Equity investment team led by Andrew Bascand has successfully achieved:
- Top quartile performance over ten years
- The top performance for an Australasian Fund over 5 years to 2009
- Numerous industry awards including the Morningstar Equity Fund of the Year in 2008
- The launch in April 2010 of the Harbour Australasian Wholesale Unit Trust
- The launch in April 2010 of the Harbour Australasian Retail Unit Trust
- The launch in October 2011 of the Harbour Australasian Retail Equity Income Unit Trust
We believe that our success reflects a central focus on research, and in particular the investment opportunities that we find between the Harbour view and the consensus earnings expectations of a particular company.
Harbour's investment philosophy is supported by an extensive body of academic literature including Morgan Stanley's 'The Competitive Edge', produced in 1996 which pioneered a new approach to growth investing. This critical paper provided one of the first major examples of the new growth investing philosophy in action. Another influence is the work of Michael Porter who preceded the portfolio context of growth investing with his 'The Competitive Advantage of Nations' in 1991. This publication was a catalyst for companies to translate the analysis of competitive forces into company success factors.
Harbour's investment philosophy and process develops depth from these frameworks and is rigorously back-tested.
The key to our success is through not relying on one measure of value, growth or competitiveness. Rather our investment platform uses quantitative, macro-economic and fundamental factors.